Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Messenger Envelope Tablet Case

I am always in a conundrum when it comes to making gifts for the guys in my life. I'm usually so lost in finding things manly enough for them. One year I made golf club covers and those ended up being a pretty big hit. This year I went with blankets for most of the guys. I made an apron for my dad to use while he was painting or woodworking. That left me with my husband.

He had been nagging me to make a pattern that had to do with carrying a tablet. So I went to town and came up with this:


Messenger Envelope Tablet Case (it will fit a 7 in tablet)

Yarn: Lily’s Sugar and Cream Worsted weight, 2.50 oz / 71 g: 120 yd / 109 m (I used 1.6 oz of one ball)

Hook: H/8

Gauge: 6 hdc st for every 2 ins, 5 rows every 2 inches


Pattern:
Row 1: Make 24 fhdc, or ch 25, starting from 2nd ch from hook make 24 hdc in each ch across.
Row 2 and 3: Ch 1 (does not count as a st here and throughout), turn,  hdc in each of the next 24 st.
Row 4: Ch 1, turn, hdc in the next 10 st, ch 4, sk 4 st, make 10 hdc in the last 10 st.
Row 5: Ch 1, turn, Hdc in the next 10 st, 4 hdc in the ch 4 sp, hdc in the last 10 st.
Row 6 and 7: repeat rows 2 and 3.
Row 8: Repeat row 4.
Row 9: Repeat row 5.
Row 10 – 20 (or to desired length): repeat row 2.
Row 21: Ch 1, turn, sc2tog, sc2tog, hdc in the next 18 st, sc2tog, sc2tog in last 4 st.
Row 22: Ch 1, turn, sc2tog, sc2tog, hdc in the next 14 st, sc2tog, sc2tog in last 4 st.
Row 23: Ch 1, turn, sl st into the next 7 st, hdc in the next 4 st.
Row 24- 30: Ch 1, turn, hdc in the next 4 hdc,
Row 31: dc4tog, ch 40 (or till you have your desired length of rope), finsh off. Weave in your ends.

Assembling your case:
Fold your case so that row one is touching row 23. Sew the sides together.

2 comments:

  1. I have the same problem with manly ideas. I've never made anything for my husband, but I'm thinking that this may be my first. I was thinking about adding a button at the bottom instead of a tie. I don't think he would ever bother to tie it. Right now my husband is using an old turquoise snake skin cover that I had for my tablet. I think he would appreciate this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. now that you say that my husband probably only ties it about half the time. maybe i'll make another one with a button too to see how it looks.

    ReplyDelete